Scientific Linux Live 6.0
Scientific Linux 6.0 Live CD and DVD (32bit and 64bit)
Scientific Linux 6.0 LiveCD/DVDs are officially released. They are available for 32-bit and 64-bit and come with following window managers* LiveMiniCD icewm
* LiveCD gnome, icewm
* LiveDVD gnome, kde, icewm
Software was added from rpmforge, epel and elrepo (see EXTRA SOFTWARE) to include additional filesystem support (ntfs, reiserfs), more secure network connection (openvpn, vpnc, pptp), and several rescue and filesystem tools (testdisk, dd_rescue, ddrescue, gparted).
I would like to thank everybody who help to test the LiveCD!
Alternatively use a public mirror or torrent: http://www.scientificlinux.org/download/mirrors
For SL6 the way how the LiveCD was built has completely changed. It is
now based on the Fedora LiveCD Tools.
If you install the LiveCD to hard drive, the installation of the live image is now done by anaconda similar to the normal SL6 installation.
You can also install the LiveCD on an USB stick with persistent changes using liveusb-creator included in SL6.
To build your own LiveCD use livecd-tools from SL6.
SOFTWARE* kernel 2.6.32-71.18.1.el6
* xorg 7.3
* icewm 1.2.37
* gnome 2.28.6
* firefox 3.6.14
* thunderbird 3.1.8
* openoffice.org 3.2.1 (only on LiveDVD)
* kde 4.3.4 (only on LiveDVD)
* ... and more
EXTRA SOFTWARE* fuse-ntfs-3g (rpmforge)
* fuse-sshfs (rpmforge)
* ntfsprogs (rpmforge)
* progsreiserfs (rpmforge)
* dd_rescue (rpmforge)
* ddrescue (rpmforge)
* iperf (rpmforge)
* flash-plugin (rpmforge)
* testdisk (rpmforge)
* rxvt-unicode (only MiniCD) (rpmforge)
* gparted (epel)
* NetworkManager-openvpn (epel)
* NetworkManager-vpnc (epel)
* NetworkManager-pptp (epel)
* vpnc-consoleuser (epel)
* kmod-reiserfs (elrepo)
* kmod-ndiswrapper (elrepo)
* reiserfs-utils (elrepo)
BOOT PARAMETERS* pw=any_password set password
* noautologin disable auto login
* noswap do not use SWAP partition found on hard drive
* automount enable auto mounting (rw) of all found hard drives
* user=username user name of local user, default is sluser
* xdriver=driver use a specific driver for the X server
* cups=server the CUPS server
* hostname=name set the hostname
* check verify LiveCD before booting
*Install to hard drive crashes, if a disk is mounted. Per default no
hard drives are mounted.
* Some features which you might know from SL4/SL5 LiveCD are not included.
* Support for diskless client is very limited. You need twice as much RAM as the size of the LiveCD.
INFOMore information can be found at
Last modified 2011-03-09 11:38 AM